This Week's Circulars
On April 2, Norman voters will consider approving a stormwater utility with residential rates between $3 and $6 a month, a $60 million stormwater bond and a $72 million transportation bond.
- Lawton meteorologist fired over brain teaser considered racially insensitive
- Clark wins mayoral race outright
- New AMC theater set to open this fall
- LIVEBLOG: Feb. 12 election
- OU football: Incoming freshman DT Derek Green leaving Oklahoma
- THUNDER: Morris reportedly headed to OKC, Solomon and Hopson ink short-term deals
- Trump declares national emergency to build border wall
- OU hires law firm to investigate Boren for allegations of misconduct
- Permitless carry bill sails through committee
- OU softball: Shannon Saile enjoying newfound culture at Oklahoma
No. 6 Southmoore is on the verge of making the postseason for the third straight season. Not many teams have done that in the new Class 6A-I. Making the playoffs is different than in other classes. The first round is the state quarterfinals. All it takes is three wins to hoist the gold ball. In Classes A, 2A and 3A it takes five. Classes 4A and 5A require four. Yet, while that shortened playoff season would seem to promote parody, it has been pretty predictable.
Not who we thought they were: Moore has to be the favorite against Owasso Friday at home. Just two years ago, that would have sounded crazy. The Lions have have risen above their recent history that includes three winless seasons the last five years and Owasso has slipped after reaching the …
1. What will Wicks do: Senior Satayven Chaves is a solid running back, but there's no replacing the play-making ability of junior running back and safety Rae'Quan Wicks. One of No. 4 Southmoore's best athletes, Wicks has been limited by injuries this season, but should be much closer to 100 percent against No. 7 Mustang. That could make a difference on both sides of the ball. Mustang quarterback Brayden Garrett has been accident prone, and Wicks led the SaberCats with five interceptions last year.
After winning 10 games last year, Southmoore is not a program that takes pride in moral victories. Still, there's something to be said for coming back from 21 points down against one of the top teams in the state. The No. 4 SaberCats had a catastrophic start against No. 3 Union last week at home. They went 3-and-out on their first offensive possession, which included a semi-blocked punt, then had a turnover. That's a big hole when facing a team with state title aspirations.
Historic matchup: Moore and Mustang have been trending in different directions over the past decade. The Lions' last win in the series came a year prior to the opening of Southmoore in 2007. Mustang has become a football power in part due to staying a single high school district. The Broncos…
Defensive struggle: The last two games, Prague has allowed just 14 points. Little Axe allowed 23 against McLoud but shut out Bridge Creek two weeks prior. If the Indians have their way, this will be a low-scoring game.
Playing up: Community Christian plays its first game against a Class 3A foe when it travels to Purcell Friday. The Royals are in their first year in Class 2A after moving up from Class A. Moving up, CCS wanted tougher teams on its schedule. That’s part of the reason the Royals scheduled the …
We cover hundreds of athletes every year, and many of them make a significant impression on us. At the end of every spring prep season, we say goodbye to players we’ve come to know, players we enjoy watching each week. Here are five we’ll miss for sure.
After hearing about allowing 583 yards of total offense, 306 of it on the ground, and his run defense being called into question, Southmoore defensive coordinator Greg Bryant responded with a question of his own.
Yet again, we wish for defense from Norman North, offense from Norman High, a playoff position after a strong non-district start from Community Christian (not to mention Noble … Hello, the Bears are 3-0) and do we dare declare Southmoore best in the west?
Last week Southmoore took on Bixby in its final scrimmage of the preseason. Initially, the half game was going to feature more of the reserves in order to avoid injury to starters a week before the start of the season.